Please click here for KCBS BBQ competition rules.
2019 BRANDYWINE BACKYARD RULES AND REGULATIONS
Rules for Kansas City Barbeque Society Backyard Competition will be strictly followed. Click here
1) No motorized vehicles allowed on Festival grounds, without permission. Each team must provide its own canopy of at least 10'x10', but no bigger than the space allotted for the team, to cover the food preparation area.
2) Entry fee will $150.00 to enter chicken & rib categories. You will be charged $150.00 whether you enter one or both categories. You must enter chicken and rib categories to be eligible for either "GRAND CHAMPION" “RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION”
3) All meat will be inspected before cooking. All meats must be “unseasoned” and stored in separate containers, held at a temperature of 40 degrees or below.
4) After inspection, meat can be seasoned and/or marinated.
5) Cooked meats must be held at a temp. of 140 degrees or higher.
6) No food or drinks are to be given or sold to the public, only to team members (unless the team has also registered as a food vendor)
7) Two 9 x 9 styrofoam boxes will be provided for turn in of entries.
8) Each box will have a team # and should have six (6) separate and identifiable pieces of meat to be judged.
9) Turn in times will be 12:00 noon for chicken; and 12:30 p.m. for ribs. Make sure the judges have hot food to judge.
10) Awards will be given to the top 5 in the meat categories, plus a “GRAND CHAMPION” and "RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION" awards for the top two best combined scores in chicken and ribs.
11) No gas grills. Charcoal, wood, or cooking pellets only!
12) After cooking, ash cans will be provided to dispose of all ash.
13) Trash bags will be provided. Please keep your area clean.
14) All grill fires must be contained. No open fires on the ground. Use a charcoal starter (chimney) or start fire in cooker.
15) Water will be provided (by hose), so each team should bring a suitable bucket and fire extinguisher.
16) Only a 15 x 20 foot cooking space will be provided.
17) Decisions by the judges are final.
18) Teams will be permitted to enter the festival grounds starting at 6:00 p.m, the night before the competition. All tents, RV's, etc. which do not fit in you r cooking space will need to be moved to an adjacent lot by 4:00 a.m. on Sunday. A mandatory cook’s meeting will be held on Sunday at 6:30 a.m., to go over the rules and answer any question that you may have. All cooks will follow the same rules.
19) NO PETS! Don’t torture your dog with all that meat.
20) We are not responsible for items left unattended.
21) Failure to follow “our” rules may cause your team to be disqualified. We want everyone to have FUN and be SAFE.
22) Teams and team members assume the risk of danger associated with participation in cooking and the event. Participants agree to hold the following harmless for any injury or illness: Kansas City Barbeque Society, New Garden Township, Boy Scouts of America, their agents, employees and representatives.
23) The most important thing is to have fun!